- Name of site: Concrete Designs
- Domain name: concretedesigns.co – yes, it is available according to iPower
- The purpose of this site would be to advertise my husband’s concrete business.
- $3.95 per month
- Unlimited Disk Space and Bandwidth, 24×7 Phone, Chat and Email support, Free Domain Name, 2,500 Email Accounts, Host Unlimited Sites in One Account, Free Site-Building Tools & Scripts.
- I thought this site looked like a good bang for your buck as far as hosting goes. They have a lot of neat features. The Free site building tools and scripts proved to be very interesting. I think that’s a pretty good price for $3.95 per month.
Tutorial 6 Review Assignment:
- I think that McAfee would be a great choice for Fiona’s computer protection. If she gets the McAfee Live Safe it protects against all sorts of things that she is looking for. Here is what it does: protects against viruses and malware, optimizes your PC, and protects your family, blocks spam and dangerous email (phishing would be included in this category), protects against hackers and thieves, and protects your social network. It even safeguards your smartphones and tablets, manages all your devices from one place, there is unlimited number licenses for all the devices you own, password manager is included as well as secure cloud storage and access to McAfee Security Advisors. This actually does most of what these other things in this assignment are going to do. This would be a good one-stop-shop. I actually use McAfee on my computer at home and work and I’ve found that it works very well. It has saved me from several viruses and such. I’ve had Norton before and I didn’t seem as impressed with it. It almost seemed as if my computer got worse while using it. McAfee is the way to go!
- As far as Adware, spyware, and malware go, I would probably recommend using the Ad-ware Free Antivirus. First plus, it’s FREE. It’s also got many of the qualities that I think would help out Fiona. What McAfee doesn’t protect, it looks like this covers it. It has download protection, game mode (this allows you to play games and watch movies without being disturbed – quite the handy feature). It also has safe browsing mode, Legendary (and award winning as so claims their website) Antispyware, real-time protection, pin-point scanning, and a malware sandbox emulator. All this sounds like a pretty good deal for free if you ask me. The other service costs money.
- For firewall protection, it just depends on how extensive Fiona wants to be. If she’s looking for something for someone on a budget she might could try just the free version of Zone Alarm. It is a software that you download onto your computer. If she’s looking for something a little more heavy duty, she might want to try the Barracuday NG Firewall unit. This is a device that that acts as your firewall protection against threats.
- The McAfee antivirus software that’s talked about earlier mentions that it has a password manager on it, so there’s a chance Fiona wouldn’t even need any other program for password managing. But, if I had to recommend one, I would have to choose LastPass. It seems as if it might actually be worth getting. And it has a free version. It seems like it actually works on your keeps engriptions going for your password and changes them for you if needed (according to what I read). The other site Single Sign On sounds a little sketchy to me. I’m not sure I would want to sign on with one password for everything. At least with LastPass it seems like it’s constantly working to help your password stay encrypted.
For this assignment I chose a social networking site that specializes in creative professionals. I was hoping to find one that specializes JUST in Graphic Design, but I didn’t really find anything. This was the next best thing. It’s called Creative Hotlist and it basically covers any career field as a creative professional in art or similar field. Graphic Design falls into that category. Here is the URL: http://www.creativehotlist.com/
I did sign up on the site so I could experience a fuller spectrum of what the site has to offer for someone looking for a Graphic Design job in this area. I’ll have to say, I wasn’t very impressed. As I’ve found on other non-career specific job hunting sites, it is VERY hard to find a Graphic Design job that is in the Cana/Mount Airy area. Most good graphic design jobs that are offered on this particular website are around large cities like Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, and one or two for Winston-Salem. I’m just afraid that this site is not well known enough by the right people around here for there to be many job postings nearby. There are also no group discussions that I can tell. Though, for $8.99 you can get a premium account and I imagine (and I would hope) that there may be some group discussions included with that, but I’m not going to pay for that when there are plenty of sites out there that are free.
The only way I can see for there to be any connections with other people is some company responding to your resume that is posted. That said, I don’t see anywhere to connect with other professionals either.
One thing that site offers that other job sites may not offer is you can search for freelance (temporary) work if needed. There are plenty of people out there that are only looking for a job for a short while and not wanting to be tied down by a full time job. You can post a resume stating that you are only looking for freelance work and Creative Hotlist
I would rank this site a 2 on a scale of 5, only because I really didn’t feel like there was much of anything very helpful on it since we live in a sort of rural area and all the jobs on there for Graphic Design were at least 30-40 miles away.
Unfortunately, I was unable to attend the class scheduled Tweet Chats. They didn’t line up with my schedule. However, I’ve done a little research about Tweet Chats and have found that they can be quite helpful in not just the classroom setting but in other circumstances as well. According to what I found online (at http://smallbiztrends.com/2010/08/how-to-participate-in-twitter-chat.html) there are many different types of scheduled tweet chats in just about any category scheduled every day at certain times. All you have to do to participate in a tweet chat is to include the specific hashtag into your conversation, then everyone participating should be able to see your post. I think this is a great tool for many reasons. This website in particular looks at it from a small business point of view. I can see that it could greatly be beneficial if you owned a small business to be on twitter. Tweet chats could help you connect to your customers or other small business owners who could help you out. Tweet chats can be used for many other types of meetings where a face-to-face encounter isn’t needed or even possible. People from different countries and different places throughout the globe can participate in a board meeting, for example, without actually having to see one another. It could also be a great way to promote your business. Through the use of hashtags in twitter chat, your business could reach a HUGE audience. This is great advertising. Overall, I think tweet chatting is a good thing and can be great in a lot of ways.